Mister and I came up with these. They are only a beginning (and a way of tempering and focusing my usual totalitarianistic “If I were elected president, the day after inauguration, EVERYthing would change”):
- Remove 3 layers of political appointees from every agency and sector of the federal bureaucracy. Promote from within.
- Amendment Free Tuesdays—no amendments, riders, etc. attached to any bills on Tuesdays
- The Put Up or Shut Up Rule: if there is a large deficit without any declared war/depression/cataclysmic natural disaster or series of terrorist attacks, the president is removed from office and the highest ranking senator of the opposition party serves out the rest of the president’s term. That senator’s seat is filled by a special election in his/her home district.
- Lower the bar for impeachment. Make it more like a civil trial, like you can’t prove it in criminal court but you can sue the fuck out of your sister’s killer.
- Presidents get a total of 8 years to serve—first a 5-year term then re-election to a 3-year term.
- The presidential inauguration will be paid for like the Super Bowl—through advertisement and sponsorships. Let Anheuser Busch, Microsoft, Waste Management and ExxonMobil sponsor the limousines, police escorts, security, barricades, podium and stage, etc.