Sunday, October 01, 2006

A Day or 3 After the Fact

There are 5 pages left in my journal. Usually, that sparks an immediate search for a new one and a generalized anxiety that makes me ready to abandon the last few pages for any new journal. That impulse to run at the end is deep, well-ingrained and often counter-productive. Job annoying? Don't go back. Who gives a fuck about rent or food? Friend shows a never-before-seen strain of narrow-mindedness? Never call back. Run in the opposite direction until the focus is no longer a job or a friend or obligation but my own panting and trying to figure out where the hell I've ended up.

***

Now that the Superdome is open and lovely-fied, the Saints won a game, the nation has seen something in NO that isn't broken, blighted and/or water-stained, it will be nice to refocus on the situations at hand. I'm glad the Saints won, I'm glad the city (right around the Dome) looks good to outsiders, I'm ecstatic folks had a damn good time but can we get back to the business at hand now?

***

Yeah, I voted. The Girl and I had another of our excellent discussions about democracy, voting and voting rights, civil rights, poverty and housing on our way to and from the poll. I love taking her with me to vote.

I haven't seen details on voter turnout yet though a few good amendments passed. What I usually feel like voting in NO and LA is like I've already shit my pants and 5 men have guns to my head telling me to take my time, relax, make the right choice then get ready for my comeuppance--more of the same from the same people to the detriment of the majority. It's not democracy if you have no choices, if your vote doesn't cause at least minor change for the better, if the chance to finally have your say is secreted away (instead of divide and conquer, it's hush-hush and bumrush) then you are told you made your choice now carry it to term for us.

6 Comments:

Blogger Abadiebitch said...

I wonder if there are ghost in the Superdome. I am afraid that I have no more faith in voting. I think it is all rigged and it will be what the powers want it to be anyway. I am hearing more and more arguments from people wanting New Orleans to be different, new, and to leave the "riff raff" in Houston. God that makes me so angry!

I like talking to my daughter about things too, she loves the angry that comes out about patriarchy and racism.......

stay strong!

Sun Oct 01, 04:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope we don't have to listen to another week of "Saints" news..

Sun Oct 01, 04:48:00 PM  
Blogger G Bitch said...

The Saints lost today so we'll have a week of how-much-they-suck "news."

"Whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends [i.e., securing inherent and inalienable rights, with powers derived from the consent of the governed], it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." -- Thomas Jefferson: Declaration of Independence, 1776. ME 1:29, Papers 1:315 (emphasis added)

I am in many things a moderate--in some things, we can only live together if we do not codify one extreme or the other--but this is not one of those things.

Sun Oct 01, 07:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about no decent choices, I'm thinking the Governor's race next year and then the US Senate race in 2008. I'm really disgusted with Landrieu voting for the Bush torture bill. It's not right, it's not even conservative, it's flat out immoral.

Sun Oct 01, 10:41:00 PM  
Blogger G Bitch said...

There's no way Landrieu can explain her vote for torture. Torture is not something that should be bargained away for whatever she uses to justify her vote. And if she thinks Bush has kept us safe, I have some magic beans she'll be interested in.

Mon Oct 02, 07:52:00 AM  
Blogger Professor Zero said...

I am having a hurricane and U.S. human rights grief fit, so I'm going to see Kermit at Vaughn's tomorrow night. That is Thursday, maniana, the 5th.

Wed Oct 04, 10:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Zimbabwean women want Dignity.Period!


Listed on 
BlogShares