Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Pathetic "Plan B"

Instead of using these 30 minutes before I have to dash to campoos to grade that 4-inch stack of homework or prepare lesson plans (shit, I can just about wing it today; what'll they know?), I'm hoping that being in an office/building and on a campus next school year will help me create a Plan B. I cannot rely on the University to retain me (except out of desperation and laziness) and with the 4-4 pace, creative writing just doesn't happen (thereby risking tenure, too). I can't apply to other universities in NO b/c they are all in some form or other of disarray, firing professors left and right for the flimsiest of reasons, reducing departments with what I assume is a business model belief that all employees (except top-level administrators) are expendable and replaceable. Maybe. But in higher education? You can't just hire a professor off the street. In the fall, with 400+ freshpersons expected, the English department will have about 5 or 6 professors teaching composition. Anyone hired to fill in the gaps will be hired at the last minute with fingers crossed that the adjuncts aren't too psychotic or too incompetent. In a city with fewer and fewer 'middle class' jobs.........

2 Comments:

Blogger CrankyProf said...

Heh. I just picked up TWO classes mid-stream, because the adjuncts flaked.

When will Admin learn??

Thu Apr 27, 10:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allons à Lafayette?

Fri Apr 28, 12:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Zimbabwean women want Dignity.Period!


Listed on 
BlogShares